• Users Online: 102
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 3  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 41-43

A community-based study to assess the awareness of health insurance among rural Northern Indian population


1 Department of Pathology, Major S. D. Singh Medical College and Hospital, Fathehgarh, India
2 Department of Microbiology, Major S. D. Singh Medical College and Hospital, Fathehgarh, India
3 Department of Community Medicine, Shaheed Hassan Khan Mewati Government Medical College, Nalhar, India
4 General Medicine, Shaheed Hassan Khan Mewati Government Medical College, Nalhar, India
5 Department of Paediatrics, Shaheed Hassan Khan Mewati Government Medical College, Nalhar, India
6 Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Shaheed Hassan Khan Mewati Government Medical College, Nalhar, India
7 Department of Forensic Medicine, Santosh Medical College, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
8 Department of Community Medicine, GFIMSR, Ballabgarh, Haryana, India

Correspondence Address:
Abhishek Singh
Department of Community Medicine, Shaheed Hassan Khan Mewati Government Medical College, Nalhar, Haryana
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2347-9019.147203

Rights and Permissions

Background : Even after more than 60 years of independence, inequalities in access to health care are widely prevalent in Indian communities. As per National Family Health Survey-3 only 5% household are covered under any health scheme or insurance. Objectives : The present study was planned to conduct with an objective to assess the awareness of health insurance among rural northern Indian population. Materials and Methods : The present cross-sectional survey was undertaken among 422 eligible subjects in the rural field practice area of Department of Community Medicine of a Tertiary Care Centre located in rural Uttar Pradesh, during June 2013 to August 2013. Results : Overall 44.5% of the study subjects were aware of health insurance, while remaining 55.5% had not heard about it. Gender wise males were more aware than females (51.3% vs. 32.4%). Participants belonging to higher socioeconomic class were more aware (67%) compared to those of the lower class. A good number of respondents believed that health insurance is for tax gain (35.30%) and coverage of medical expenses (41.23%). 77.4% of respondents believed in governmental health insurance agencies rather than private insurance companies. Conclusion : The findings of the study highlight that it is need of the hour to launch information, education and communication activities in order to make rural communities aware of the need of health insurance to meet the ever rising medical expenses in view of unpredictable illness and injuries.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed4111    
    Printed92    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded385    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal